Dan's CE 5160 Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Chapter 3 (Week 7)

As the authors say, it is hard to talk about the internet without talking about Google. For better or worse (and probably a combination of the two) Google has had a profound impact on the internet. For my part I tend to be pleased with most things Google has to offer, and while there are some changes I would like to see, it is tremendous that Google continues to provide such a wealth of free services to everyone.

The biggest complaint I have heard from people about Google is the accusation that Google sells page ranks. While it is understandable that people would be upset about this, the accusation is completely erroneous. Google does sell advertisements, but they are clearly labeled as such. The trouble, I believe, is  the Google search process, while quite effective, is not easy to understand. The video below is Google's explanation of how it works.


I use a lot of Google products for personal use and with my students. Here are my favorites. Gmail is essential. It is secure, reliable, and easy to use. I have two accounts (one for personal use and one I use with my students). I use Google Calendar religiously, and I have tried to get my co-workers to use it too. We have shared calendars at work but there are many staff who still prefer to use one big paper calendar in the main office, which isn't very useful unless your in the main office. I use Google Docs with my students for a number of reasons. Originally, it was out of necessity. The computers at my school freeze often, and students lose their work. MS Office became especially problematic. Because Google Docs saves automatically and students can access their files without have to log on their account on the server (we also have issues with our server), it became a wonderful solution.

Before I migrated to Linux, I used Google SketchUp a lot. It is a great program. I used to design the remodel I am doing on my house, and I I have also used it with my Wood Shop students. I wish Google would make a Linux version of it. This is especially disappointing because Linux is so widely used by Google and its employees. In fact, Google does not permit its employees to use Windows (except of course for testing). Apparently, Google does not produce a Linux version of SketchUp because there are simply so many more Windows users than Linux-users. We'll get there someday.

My most recent complaint about Google is related to the image search. It seems there is no way to be certain offensive images will not appear in an image search. This is especially troubling for teachers in Elementary schools. It would be nice if Google offered a kid-friendly image search. Even "Strict Safe-Search" doesn't cut it. Nonetheless, Google is indispensable in the classroom.

I am trying to get my principal to embrace Google Apps, and to use it to replace our current email server. Why pay for lousy email service when you can get it free from Google?

1 comment:

  1. Dan, we really should not agree on so much material. I use a 45 minute Documentary on Google called the Google Boys for my ICT classes. I love it! It takes about 45 minutes of class and explains how G's search process and their advertising works using "adwords." It also does a great job pointing out the long hours and hard work that went into getting the company off the ground. I offer it as it is difficult to find good movies for emergencies in many content areas.

    On the professional development front. There are always places were people are going to just punch the time clock. I just purchased two new books one on digital natives the other on inspiring change without the power. I'll let you know if it is worthy of you! Diane

    ReplyDelete